Classic Focaccia is a delicious Italian flat bread flavored with a extra-virgin olive oil, rosemary and flaky sea salt. You can however make this yummy bread with various different toppings ranging from all kinds of herbs, dried tomatoes, olives, caramelized onion and spices. You really can put whatever you prefer on it!
Here are the Ingredients you need to make 8 to 10 servings of Classic Focaccia:
5 cups (630 grams) bread flour
2 teaspoons (15 grams) flaky salt
30 grams fresh yeast (3 teaspoons of active dry yeast)
400 milliliters lukewarm water
2 teaspoons (10 grams) sugar
quarter cup (56 grams) extra-virgin olive oil
The topping of your choice.
2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) water
Fresh rosemary, chopped
To make this Classic Focaccia just follow these simple instructions:
1. Get a large bowl and whisk together the flour and salt.
2. In another bowl (small one this time) stir the fresh yeast with the sugar until it liquefies. Dissolve yeast in 160millilitres of water and then add to the flour mixture you prepared in the previous point. Add the olive oil and the remaining cup of water. Using a wooden spoon, combine all the ingredients. Prepare a lightly floured surface and then knead the dough for about five to ten minutes until it is smooth.
3. Put the smooth dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. You need to let it rest in the bowl at room temperature until the dough has doubled in size.
4. On a lightly oiled surface shape the dough into a rectangle and fold in three, rotate, stretch it a bit again and fold in three once more.
5. Place the folded dough into the greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for another 30 minutes.
6. While it is resting grease a 12×16 inch (30×40 centimeter) baking sheet with extra-virgin olive oil.
7. Place the dough into the prepared baking sheet and stretch it with your palm as it needs to fit the entire pan.
8. Cover the dough in the pan with plastic wrap once more and let it rest for another 30 minutes.
9. in the mean time preheat your oven to 425 Degrees Fahrenheit (220 Degrees Celcius).
10. This is also a good time to chop the fresh rosemary and thyme. In another small bowl combine the oil with water.
11. After the dough has rested use your fingers to create holes. Pour the oil water mixture over the dough filling the holes. Sprinkle flaky sea salt and the chopped herbs over it.
12. Bake for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Add some more olive oil if desired right after taking it out of the oven.
13. Cool slightly before cutting. Enjoy!
Hope you have fun making this Classic Focaccia and don’t forget to try some different toppings.