Torta Caprese is a traditional cake of the beautiful island of Capri from Italy. It is a dense, moist flourless chocolate cake enriched with ground almonds that bring a great flavor and texture. Also as no flour is used makes this dessert a perfect choice for those in search of gluten-free dessers.
To print the recipe check the full recipe on my blog:
Makes about 8 servings
7 oz (200g) peeled almonds
7 oz (200g) semisweet chocolate
2/3 cup (150g) butter
3/4 cup (150g) sugar, divided
1/4 tsp (1g) salt
1. Grease and line with parchment paper a 8 or 9 inch (20-23 cm) springform pan (with a removable base). Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
2. Place the peeled almonds into a food processor and process until finely ground but with still some remaining chunky pieces for a crunch texture
3. Melt chocolate and butter over a bain-marie until smooth. Let it cool slightly.
4. Meanwhile separate egg yolks from whites.
5. Mix yolks with ½ cup (100g) sugar and salt until thick and pale yellow colored.
6. Mix in cooled chocolate and add ground almonds.
7. Whip egg whites until foamy using a mixer. Gradually add ¼ cup (50g) sugar and whip until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped whites into chocolate mixture.
8. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with few crumbs attached
9. Let it cool completely in the pan over a cooling rack.
10. When cooled invert onto a serving platter and dust with powdered sugar.
11. Serve if desired with whipped cream and fresh berries.